Story and Setting
An immersive world to discover
The surface is uninhabitable. Lumes were discovered as a source of energy and power to survive underground. They were hoarded by a select few that became the rulers of civilization.
These mages keep most of the powerful effects of the lumes to themselves and they restrict the study of enchantment, so there is no competition to their rule. Still, there are rebellious enchanters driven by awe and curiosity that try to keep up with the innovations of the mages or make their own.
What are lumes?
- Gems mined deep underground that glow with colorful energy
- Currency of civilization, value is based on weight
- Used or abused by enchanters to perform specific instructions
- Main energy source, providing everything from lighting, heating to levitating platforms
- When enchanted with useful combat abilities, they can be embedded into weapons/armor to be called upon by the wielder
- Soul stones are large round lumes that the high mages enchanted to hold a soul captive
One enchantment the high mages developed solidified their tyranny. They created lumes that could trap a soul, provided they were there to catch it leaving a body at the time of death. They found they could spawn this soul into the world and it would materialize in its original body but instead of being ‘alive’ it exists completely on lume energy and is linked to the stone it was captured in.
Since these captured people can be respawned infinitely unless their stone is destroyed, the mages threaten them with eternal torture until their will breaks and they become obedient servants. It is on the backs of an army of these servants that the civilization maintains a high level of underground luxury.
You are one of these poor souls, not really alive or dead, but still feeling things. What will you do? Does freedom mean destroying your soul stone or being the master of your choices? Nothing seems possible under the boot of the mages, but patience will allow you to discover powers and unlock new possibilities.